Favorite Photo

 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks (Week 2)

Favorite Photo
There are so many favorite photos that I could choose as my favorite photo for this week's genealogy writing prompt.
I chose this photo because it truly is a favorite photo of mine. I was lucky enough to have one living grandfather at my wedding and this photo just shows the joy we had being together.
Francis E. McKeon was born and raised in Worcester MA the grandson of both Irish and English immigrants. Francis went to Boys Trade school and he later became a Master Electrician. He worked many jobs throughout Worcester including wiring the Polar Bear enclosure at the Worcester Ecotarium and wiring the Hanover Insurance building.
He became a Marine and went through boot camp but was discharged due to a hearing loss. Francis would later lose three brothers who gave the ultimate sacrifice fighting for the freedom of others in WWII and Korea. He was the only surviving son to carry on the McKeon name from our branch of the McKeon family.
As a result of these losses, he was a very quiet man. We spent many nights watching the Red Sox at night eating ice cream and not talking. It was a favorite part of my sleepovers at my grandparents house. I would always leave his house at the end of a weekend saying, "Nice talking to you, Gramp." I would be rewarded with this very grin.
Post your favorite photo in the comments below!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media

Gone Too Soon

Out of Place